Opening Date: Summer, 2019
Closing Date: Summer, 2019
Air date: May 11, 2020
Where to watch: YouTube
The Room is a new one-act one-woman musical about a girl alone in a room. What is her story? Why is she here? In a series of pictures and conversations we learn the answers to these questions and more. Bit by bit we piece together her life and what has brought her here.
Composed by “Musical Director, Conductor, Composer, Arranger, Singing Teacher and Pianist” Alexander Abbott, the musical was first performed at The Courtyard Theatre in London in August 2015. The production was directed by Greg Fitch, and starred Emma Read.
In May 2019, the same production was performed at Waterloo East Theatre in London.
The production was performed at Ye Olde Rose & Crown, Walthamstow, starring Louise Thomas, before a run at the Edinburgh Fringe at PQA Venues @ Riddle’s Court – Q1 (Venue 277) in August 2019.
The Edinburgh Fringe production received warm praise. Reviewers noted the effectiveness of Abbott’s deceptively light but powerful music, and actor Louise Thomas was praised for her outstanding performance. James McConnell, writing for Lew’s Reviews, extolled “Louise Thomas is a sensation” and Chrissy Ross, writing for The Edit stated Thomas was “brilliantly harrowing… Her range in both emotional portrayal and expression throughout is extraordinary.”
In September 2019, following the Edinburgh Fringe run, The Room was performed at the Rondo Theatre in Bath.
The Room was filmed Ye Olde Rose & Crown, Walthamstow, prior to its run at the Edinburgh Fringe starring Louise Thomas.
Just uploaded a video of The Room, a 1 woman musical starring Louise Thomas, Director Greg Fitch, filmed last year at Ye Olde Rose & Crown, Walthamstow before it’s run at The Edinburgh Festival. (Warning: It’s not a comedy this time) https://t.co/4Q6qqaS95G@LouTee98 @GregFitch3— Alex Abbott (@AlexAb19) May 11, 2020
Theatre: Ye Olde Rose & Crown, Walthamstow
Book, Music & Lyrics: Alexander Abbott
Director: Greg Fitch
Musical Director: Alexander Abbott
- James McConnell, “The Room - Edinburgh Fringe 2019 Review (Cromus)” Lew’s Reviews (Aug 20, 2019)
- Fiona Orr, “The Room – Edinburgh Festival Fringe – PQA Venues,” Musical Theatre Review (Aug 18, 2019)
- Chrissy Ross, “‘The Room’,” The Edit (Aug 14, 2019)
- Alexander Abbott, Accessed via: http://www.alexabbott.co.uk/
- The Courtyard Theatre, “The Room,” Accessed via: http://www.thecourtyard.org.uk/whatson/606/the-room
- PQA Venues, “The Room,” Accessed via: https://pqavenues.co.uk/event/the-room/
- Rondo Theatre, “The Room,” Accessed via: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/rondotheatre/the-room/e-kylpbe
- Waterloo East Theatre, “The Room,” Accessed via: https://www.waterlooeast.co.uk/the-room
- Louise Thomas, email correspondence with the author (May 2020)